Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2009

But you have a pretty face... and other wanna be compliments...

I am sure that at some point, all of us have run into those people... you know the ones I'm talking about.  The people who really mean well, who want to give you a compliment.  But it just turns out all wrong. The ones that intend to make you feel better, but make you want to find the nearest gas oven and measure it to see if your head fits in.  There are all types of half compliments, but the one that drive me nuts?

"You have such a pretty face."
Now, I'm aware that people mean this as a great compliment.  But what it really means?
"You're face is pretty, but the rest of you is complete crap."

I swear, if I hear that one more time, I am going to strangle someone.  Or come up with really weird things to compliment like "Those sunglasses make your nose look so much smaller." or "Your new bra really hides the sagginess." or "The jeans you have on today make you have a much smaller muffintop!"  They are compliments! Just in a weird, psychotic, make-you-second-guess-your-appearance kind of way.

My question: Have you had 'compliments' like that? Did you ever say anything about it and if so, what did you say? (And bonus points if the other person responded with 'shock face.')

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Ahhh, gotta love back-handed compliments. I find older people do it a lot. I've heard "That haircut really slims your face" - that one makes me wanna slap someone.

~J

Noel Trim said...

I tend to just get slap in the face comments like "you look like a boy".

ARJules said...

Ooooooooh ... gee thanks! I'm so glad my face doesn't look as fat as it did yesterday. Definitely want to smack someone with that!

Noel... you do not look like a boy! *hugs*

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates