Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Holy s***balls moments - Part 1

This is Part 1 because I'm sure there will be other holy s*** ball moments.  There always are. :)


It's all skinny jeans and cute tops until you realize your health is involved.......




Now, I wanted to start getting back in shape because I wanted to be healthy, feel good, have energy... and... well.... I wanted to look cute in clothes again.  Who doesn't?  
Only a few years ago, I looked like :


HOWEVER!!!!!
About 5 years and a bunch of professor assoholic behavior later, I'm 100 pounds bigger.  Granted, part of the reason I have been able to ignore the situation is that I have this superhero ability to look in the mirror and actually not see exactly how fat I am.  It's impressive to tell you the truth.  

It was one thing to sit and look at my former cute, and might I say, kick-ass wardrobe and wish all day long I could fit back into my clothes.  But what really freaked me out??  Getting the results of a blood panel back.  See, I decided that at my age, I'm tired of worrying about wrinkles and acne so I decided to try a different medication; one that requires testing blood levels beforehand.  (I know, sounds scary. But really, who wants pimples at age 36??)  

And what came up?  I had low HDL cholesterol (The good kind of cholesterol, which has always been low for me.) and borderline high triglycerides. 

Oh. Holy. Crap.

What does the hell does that mean??? First thing I do?  Reach for the Google.  Oh internet.  It's such a wonderful thing........ except when it TOTALLY FREAKS YOU OUT!!!!!  The first article I read, Low HDL-cholesterol and high triglycerides linked to increased risk of CHD, starts out:
Low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) and raised triglycerides, affecting millions of patients worldwide, are strongly linked to significantly increased risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) even in patients who achieve or surpass current low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) targets. 


Great.  Fan-flippin'-tastic.  What causes low HDLs and high triglycerides you ask?  WebMD states that along with other factors such as taking certain kinds of medicines (listed at the above link) low HDL/high triglyceride levels are caused by:
High triglycerides are usually caused by other conditions, such as:
  • Obesity.
  • Poorly controlled diabetes.
  • An underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).
  • Kidney disease.
  • Regularly eating more calories than you burn.
  • Drinking a lot of alcohol.
So yeah....   this freaked me out just a tad.  It wasn't that I didn't think about any of the health problems that accompanies obesity issues.  But my method of coping with such health related problems consisted of putting my fingers in my ears and yelling "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!!!"


While I want to look cute and fit into clothes, I really couldn't deny that my health was at serious risk.  And here we are!  Week 2 and still kickin'!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is that for acutane, be careful of that stuff, it made my brother really depressed. Well, at least you found out now and you can fix it before it gets worse.

ARJules said...

Yeah, I'm glad that they made it clear that was a side effect. When I was on birth control, it made me SERIOUSLY depressed. So I know what to look for. But anyway...

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates