Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 9 - Holy s***balls Moments - Part 2

Wow.  Part 2 came right on the heels of "Holy s***balls Part 1".  Didn't see that one coming.
 You know, today started off as any other day, except that this seemed like a blah kind of Friday.  I'm in the lab this morning, doing mundane stuff, wishing I was outside in the sun.  Still bummin' about my 1.5 pound loss this week, but trying to be appreciative.  And then..... I read MrsFatass' blog for today.


Go ahead and go read it.  I'll wait here.


I know right?!?!  
*bangs head on desk*


Let me tell you what this reminds me of....  (Warning: I am getting serious here.)  A little over a year and a half ago, one of my best friends was diagnosed with cancer.  


 (Good looking guy, huh??)

I wanted to go visit him where he was living as he was getting treated etc.  In preparation, I got my butt on the treadmill because I wanted to lose some of the chub before seeing him again.  Every time I was on that treadmill and wanted to quit, I would think "You know, Scott is having chemo right now.  He'd kill to be on this treadmill." And I'd keep going.


He passed away that October.  And did I honor him by staying on the path to get myself healthy again?  Nope.  In fact, I let things go to hell in a handbasket.  And MrsFatass reminded me of that.  Not in a bad way... it wasn't like she was saying "Jules.... you know, you are such a slackass.  You should be ashamed of yourself."  Well....... maybe she was saying that, but the MrsFatass in my head definitely wouldn't. :)  


The point is: her acknowledgement of those who have the spirit and the personality, but whose body doesn't allow them to do all of the things they want to do reminded me that I have a body that is capable and willing to be active and healthy.  She reminded me that I need to appreciate the health that I have and that I am capable of living a healthy life.  She reminded me to stop punishing my body with crap food and to cherish it with foods that are good for me and that will fuel it for what it needs to and wants to do.  She reminded me that I need to appreciate that I can get on the treadmill, or elliptical, or heck, just go take a walk - because there are some many people, like Scott, like my dad, who would have given anything to have the abilities that I have now.  


So thanks MrsFatass.  Today's cardio session is dedicated to you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am honored and touched and all gooey now. We can do this, you know. One cardio session at a time. Thank you so much for the post.

Christie Farrar said...

That hit home for me today too. the problem with cancer and obesity is we all know someone who has one or the other. My grandma was diagnosed last year, thankfully its in remission.

We have to do it for ourselves above all else though. Its our bodies, our lives, but we miss out on so much of other peoples lives if we let our weight rule us.

Unknown said...

i'm very sorry about your friend.

ARJules said...

Thanks guys.
HTMLN - That's the thing I guess. Not letting the weight or my body to keep me from living my life.

And Merri - thanks. I appreciate it. He was a great guy.

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates